Key Documents & Presentations
|Turkey: PMR Project Implementation Status Report 2018||English||April 2018|
|Turkey: PMR Project Implementation Status Report 2017||English||March 2017|
|Turkey: Final Market Readiness Proposal (MRP)||English||May 2013|
|Turkey: Final Market Readiness Proposal (MRP) Presentation||English||May 2013|
Specifically, Turkey seeks the PMR’s help in realizing its vision for market-based mechanisms to mitigate GHG. The following steps are envisioned for collaboration:
- Develop Turkey’s NAMA portfolio
- Identify key sectors and GHG reduction potential in sectors
- Develop legal, technical and institutional arrangements necessary for the development of a national emission trading system (various options for cap & trade (i.e. voluntary but legally binding; sectoral crediting, etc)
- Raise awareness about carbon markets in Turkey
- Carry out baseline studies at the sectoral level to enhance sectoral capacities for the implementation of market based approaches
The PMR will support:
- Design of key aspects of an installation-level MRV system to be implemented in Turkey’s energy and industry sectors and explore other sectors to which the system can be expanded;
- Design of a GHG data management and registry system to monitor GHG inventories; and
- The layout a possible road map for the implementation of a domestic ETS.
The country has planned an Emissions Trading Scheme by incorporating the Environment Chapter – Emission Trading Directive (2003/87/EC) into Turkish Law. Turkey adopted the new regulatory framework on "Monitoring of GHG Emissions" in 2012 and monitoring is expected to start in 2015.
Due of Turkey’s limited experience with market-based instruments, the country is considering non-market based measures. For example, taxation is being considered for the transportation sector to limit GHG emissions from motor vehicles or supporting cabotage transportation.
Offset and/or Other Emission Reduction Crediting Programs
218 Voluntary Market Projects are currently being developed and/or implemented in Turkey.
Other Activities to Support the Development of Market-based Mechanisms
Turkey intends to implement Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) to limit the GHG emissions and the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization has planned a number of capacity building activities to assist other governmental agencies’ ability to identify potential NAMAs.
Turkey is committed to integrating climate change objectives into its development policies and to contribute to global efforts against climate change within its own capabilities and in line with the UNFCCC principle of “common but differentiated responsibilities.”
Turkey’s collaboration with the PMR will supplement its ongoing domestic GHG mitigation policies that include promoting energy efficiency, increasing the share of renewable and clean energy and developing a voluntary emission market. The country has limited experience with carbon markets and has therefore proposed a number of PMR activities to mitigate climate change.
The National Climate Change Strategy Document contains the country’s vision and mitigation objectives. The country’s objectives are outlined in the National Climate Change Action Plan for mitigation and adaptation, but does not specify any nationwide or sector specific emission reduction targets or cost estimates. In April 2012, Turkey passed national legislation requiring energy and industry sector installations to report GHG emissions.
Climate Change activities are coordinated by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization under the Coordination Board on Climate Change (CBCC) - the main policy making body on climate change-related issues in Turkey. It includes representatives from the following entities:
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry of Transportation Maritime Affairs and Communication
- Ministry of Food Agriculture and Livestock
- Ministry of Science Industry and Technology
- Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Development
- Ministry of Health
- Undersecretariat of State Planning Organization
- Undersecretariat of Treasury
- Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey
- Turkish Industrialists’ and Businessmen’s Association
Additionally, technical working groups have been established under the CBCC to provide technical feedback on the policy-making process for carbon markets in Turkey/prepare national studies and policies based on their area of specialty.
- Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Bullish on International Climate Finance to Boost Investments in Clean Energy (November 7, 2012)
The government and private sector of Turkey collaborate with the EBRD, World Bank and International Finance Corporation to boost investments in clean energy in the country.
More news from the Climate Change Department, Ministry of Environment and Urbanization is available here.
All Documents & Presentations
|Turkey: PMR Project Implementation Status Report||English||April 2016|
|Turkey: PMR Project Implementation Status Report||English||May 2015|
|Turkey PMR Project Implementation Status Report Presentation||English||May 2015|
|Turkey: Data Management System and Lessons Learned||English||September 2014|
|Turkey: Status of MRP Implementation||English||May 2014|
|Turkey: Participant Feedback on draft MRP||English||April 2013|
|Turkey: Draft Market Readiness Proposal (MRP)||English||March 2013|
|Turkey: MRP Expert Feedback Presentation||English||March 2013|
|Turkey: Organizing Framework||English||April 2011|
|Turkey: Expression of Interest Letter||English||February 2011|
|Turkey: Expression of Interest (EoI)||English||February 2011|
|Turkey: Update on MRV Legislation||English||May 2012|
|Turkey: Status and Challenges Monitoring Facility-Level Emissions||English||September 2014|
|Turkey: QA/QC Operations for Data Management System||English||September 2014|
|Turkey: Status and Challenges to Monitoring National GHG Emissions||English||September 2014|
|Modeling & Reporting Workshop: Key Challenges Regarding MRV Legislation in Turkey||English||October 2012|
|Resolution PA6/2013-1: Allocation of the Implementation Phase Funding to Turkey||English||May 2013|
|Resolution ORG-3: Implementing Country Participants' Participation||English||April 2011|
|2019 Turkey PMR Project Implementaion Status Report||English||May 2019|
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, Turkey’s National Climate Change Adaptation Strategy ad Action Plan, 2013
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization , Climate Change Policies in Turkey, 2012
- See the Gold Standard, The Gold Standard in Turkey – Scaling Up Clean Energy and Development, 2012
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, Turkey’s National Climate Change Action Plan 2011-2023, 2011
- See PETFORM, Possible Effects of Kyoto Protocol on Turkish Energy Sector
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Registry Operations of GHG Emission Reduction Projects, 2010
- Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, Climate Change Strategy 2010-2020
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Post-2012 Climate Change Negotiations Guidebook – Turkey, 2009